Object of the Preposition Examples
You know that a noun names a person, place, thing, or idea.
You also know that a preposition is a word that comes before one noun to show its relationship to another word in the phrase or clause.
So, a noun can function as an object of the preposition.
The noun that comes after the preposition is called the object of the preposition.
To find the object of the preposition:
1) Find the preposition.
2) Then, put the preposition in the blank and ask "_____ who or what?"
Examples of objects of the preposition. The preposition is underlined and the noun is italicized.
Our school is around the corner.
Marcus hid under the bed.
Please give the paper to Marissa.
Below are some additional examples of prepositional phrases and objects of the preposition.
1) Jennifer sits beside me in class. (Beside who?) me
2) Morgan's house is across the street. (Across what?) street
3) The play will begin at 7:00. (At what?) 7:00
4) Lee cried during the movie. (During what?) movie
5) The grape rolled under the table. (Under what?) table
6) I hid behind the tree. (Behind what?) tree
7) The phone is on the table. (On what?) table