Exothermic Reactions Examples
An exothermic reaction is a chemical reaction that involves the overall release of energy in the form of heat or light. "exo" means outside and "therm" refers to heat. When an exothermic reaction occurs the heat and/or light is released to the surroundings.
1. A campfire is an exothermic reaction.
2. A propane grill is an exothermic reaction.
3. Fireworks are exothermic reactions.
4. When aluminum foil is placed in hydrochloric acid, the test tube becomes very warm.
5. Calcium carbide mixed with water releases enough heat to cook an egg.